The Families with Special Needs ministry at St. Andrew the Apostle Catholic Church builds a coalition of social and spiritual support within the Cary/Apex faith community to help families with special needs children of all ages grow in holiness to love and serve the Lord. All area parishes are welcome to participate.
The ministry serves families who have been blessed by God in a special way to raise His children with physical/intellectual disabilities and developmental delays. The ministry’s key service areas focus on helping families with special needs children:
- Worship Together as a family at Mass and other liturgical celebrations.
- Grow in Faith through religious education and faith formation activities that accommodate their children’s unique learning styles.
- Socialize with the Faith Community in an environment that is always prepared to receive their children in a loving way.
- Strengthen the Family unit through parent support groups, prayer networks, and respite care providers.
- Reach Out to other parishes, diocesan groups, and related apostolates to foster awareness, exchange information, share resources, and encourage collaborations and partnerships that support the mission of the ministry.
Because this is a family-oriented ministry, we especially invoke the patronage of Saint Joseph, foster father of Jesus and loving spouse of the Blessed Virgin Mary. We ask that St. Joseph will watch over this ministry, protect its families, and lead us humbly into the perfect holiness of the Blessed Trinity, as we seek to model the Holy Family in all that we say and do within our own families.
For special accommodations, please contact Katie Fortunato, phone: 919-362-0414, x125 or .
Special Needs Mass
All are invited to a celebration Mass, on Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 11am, with Bishop Luis Rafael Zarama at St. Andrew the Apostle Church in Apex, NC. Join us for worship and fellowship as we pray for and celebrate the lives of the members of our community with special needs. A lunch reception provided by the Diocese of Raleigh will follow Mass in the Fellowship Hall, please register to reserve your spot: raldioc.configio.com/go/special-needs-mass. For more information or to volunteer to serve in the Mass, please contact Mary Beth Phillips at 919-719-8267 or Marybeth.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Special Needs Ministry Resources
The ministry is open to families with small children, teens, and young adults with special needs, as well as to others within the faith community who wish to offer their time and talent to this ministry by volunteering as respite care providers, special education teachers and teacher aides, social activities coordinators, etc.
A moderated Yahoo! group facilitates communication among the ministry’s members. For more information, please visit: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cfsn_apex/
Friends and families of this ministry currently meet quarterly (February, May, August, November). Please check the bulletin for announcements regarding upcoming meetings and events.
Katie Fortunato, phone: 919-362-0414, x125 or
Barb Kocher, Parish Council Liaison,